At the Rose Show on May 6, 2017 at James Island Town Hall, 1238-B Camp Rd., James Island, SC, there will also be a Rose Photography Contest open only to members of Charleston Lowcountry Rose Society. If you want to show your rose photography and you are not a member yet, you can join the Charleston Lowcountry Rose Society at the rose show by paying $15 for single membership or $20 for family membership. There will be 9 categories ranging from photos of single bloom and spray of roses to rose garden photography and abstract impression of roses.
Information about the society and how to grow beautiful roses will be available during the Rose Show.
Admission to the Rose Show is free.
Class 1: One bloom, at its most perfect stage, HT, Gr, F of any variety including singles, no sidebuds.
Class 2: One spray, FT, Gr, F, Polyantha, two or more blooms.
Class 3: One bloom of a miniature or miniflora, no sidebuds
Class 4: A spray of a miniature or miniflora
Class 5: One Bloom of Shrub or Old Garden Rose
Class 6: A spray of a Shrub or Old Garden Rose
Class 7: Open bloom rose(s) of any class, stamens must show.
Class 8: A photo of any rose garden or any rose society activitiy
Class 9: Abstract or Impressonism: A photo having non-objective design, form or content, of a rose plant(s) or any portion thereof. Does not include abstract arrangements.
1. Contest is open only to members of the Charleston Lowcountry Rose Society and must have taken all photographs entered. Any contestants who have not paid their current year’s dues will be ineligible.
2. Contestants are permitted to enter a maximum of three photographs per class in all classes. However, contestants may enter only one photo of a particular variety in ANY class. Photos must be in 5” x 7” size but no frame or matting is allowed.
3. Duplicate photos may NOT be entered in different classes.
4. The rose photos must be entered with the ARS approved exhibition name. Grooming the rose(s) is encouraged and artificial backgrounds may be used.
5. Photographs need to be submitted in the following format: class number with the letters a-c for multiple pictures in the same class, last name of the contestant and the approved exhibition name of the rose. An example would be 1a-Morgan – Gemini; 1b-Morgan – Queen Elizabeth; 1c-Morgan – Betty Boop. Tag should be taped in back of the photo. Any text in front of the entry will be cause for disqualification.
6. Any photographs may be enhanced by the use of any graphic program, such as Photoshop, Elements or Photo Impact.
7. Any individual who enters this contest give express permission to CLRS to use their photos for educational display at libraries in the Charleston area during the month of May. Photos will be returned to contestants in June.
8. Class 1-7 will be judged 50 percent on exhibition quality and 50 percent on photographic excellence. Class 8-9 will be judged on photographic excellence only.
9. The judges reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not conform to the stated rules prior to the entries being judged.
10. There will be awards in each class: Blue ribbons for first place; Red ribbons for second place and Yellow ribbons for third place. The Blue ribbons winners in each class will be eligible for Best of Rose Photography Contest Award.